How to study a Masters in the UK

masters degree uk

Not infrequently students who decide to do their higher education abroad, which gives prestige, strengthens the curriculum and languages ​​and this is not a bad thing when looking for work.

One of the main options is always the United Kingdom. Because we have this obsession with fluency in English, which is without a doubt the most spoken language in the world. So yes, it’s probably more or less what drives you to embark on this adventure at the slightest opportunity.

As in any process of selection of studies, you have certainly already had a paper and a pen (real or imaginary) and you have started listing all the pros and cons of each master, which would interest you to learn or not, the cost that represents … Finally, all these questions to which, in one way or another, we must answer.

Finally came to win the United Kingdom. Well, you went on the internet to search for information and register … and you find yourself perplexed because you have absolutely nothing. For this, we are here: it may seem complicated but it is not that much, we will give you all the keys so that you know exactly what to do to study your program here.

Types of Masters in the United Kingdom

To begin with, the Masters in the UK fall into two broad categories: the taught programs and the research programs.

a) Taught programs

These are the Masters as we know them here. They focus little on academic research, and focus on the training of students in a concrete field, the one that interests us. Within the taught programs, there are 4 other sub-classes, which allow us to refine our research.

  • Master of Science (MSc): Master of Science Pure
  • Master of Arts (MA): Master of Social Sciences
  • Master of Laws (LLM): Master of Laws
  • Master of Business Administration (MBA)Master of Business Administration.

These are, to describe them thus, the families of the Masters available. Not to be confused with the name of the Master itself, it is simply a way to integrate the curriculum within a larger group.

In other words, if you want to study a Master in Applied Chemistry, what you will have to look for is the Master of Science (MSc) in Applied Chemistry. This applies to any other area: for a Master of Design and Management of web sites, you will have to search for it under MA in Websites Design and Management.

The list we can make about it is almost unlimited, we restrict ourselves to giving an example of each so that you can all see which one would be the one you are looking for without referring to the “family” with which it is associated.

  • MSc in Applied Chemistry: Master (Pure Science) in Applied Chemistry.
  • MA in Websites Design and Management: Master (of Social Sciences) in creation and management of websites.
  • LLM in International Relationships: Master (of Law) in International Relations.
  • MBA in Media Management: Master (in business management) of media management.

These courses usually last one year, so if you decide to follow one, when you start to do the accounts for housing, travel and others, consider this period.

b) Research programs

These Masters are much more focused on   academic research, so there are a lot less courses. They are the first step for the PhD (which in the UK boils down to PhD: Philosophe Doctor). If you decide to pursue one, you will simply have to submit a thesis in order to be received.

There are two subclasses of research programs:

  • Master in Philosophy (MPhil)
  • Master in Research (MRes)

The Mphil have more classes than the MRes, and therefore last longer, usually at least two years.

Another thing: having a taught program excludes neither more nor less the possibility of a doctorate. The difference is that if you go this way, you will first have to take a PhD course that lasts three years.

Study a Master in UK: which university to choose?

After this little masterclass on the Masters, sorry for the rehearsal, we must now choose a university. For this, we have our article on the best universities to study a Master (link to the article), but you can naturally base yourself on the criterion that you prefer.

Maybe you do not want to study in Oxford because there is not exactly the course you are looking for while there is Leeds, for example. Therefore, that’s why it’s important that you research the specific degree you want to study, and go to that city and not another one.

Let’s talk about the skills universities need to take these courses. There are mainly three: academic skills or entry requirements, language skills or English language requirements and fees. 

The entry requirements refer to an academic record. At the note you had to your degree. They have their own scales, divided into five categories or “honors” as they are called.

These are honors and equivalence in qualifying as we know it. They refer to the average grade that you obtained during your course:

  • Ordinary degree: <5
  • Third class honors: 5 – 5.99
  • Lower second class honors: 6 – 7.49
  • Upper second class honors: 50 – 9
  • First class honors: 9 – 10

As a general rule they require at least a lower second class to access each Master, although some universities ask you for good honors which means that you must have at least 7.5 average in your courses to access it.

The language they ask you is a B2 of the language school. You will have to pass a test, the best is that you have an academic IELTS with a grade of 6 or 7, but having obtained the baccalaureate with a normal level of English should be enough for you to learn quickly.

Registration and Fees

The fees you will have to pay are the tuition fees and cover all the necessary for your training: materials, courses, etc. The technical name given to them by the British is tuition fees, and if you see that you cannot afford the costs, do not worry: the system of scholarships and grants to study in the UK is very generous (link to the scholarship article?) and they can surely help you.

Also note that in Wales, the state pays you 40% of enrollment, and in Scotland at least the first year of schooling is free.

Once you have clarified all that, you know which Master to study, and which university to choose, you just have to go to his web page and register.

More and more universities have an online registration system from their page, but if for some reason you cannot do it directly from there, you can download a PDF document at your disposal, to fill by hand and send.

There is also a third way, but one that is becoming more and more obsolete: the UKPass Aplication. It is a service offered by Undergraduate Courses at University and College (UCAS). With this system, it is the state agency itself that sends the registration form to the university.

UKPass is only used when the university does not offer its own registration form. If you need to use it, you only have to go here and follow the steps.

With these indications, finding and enrolling in the Master of Your Dreams should be child’s play. If you want to add something useful you can do it in the comments, and do not forget to give a “like” to the article if you found it useful and interesting.

Still, Have Any Questions on Mind?

Please Feel Free to Contact Academic Education who is one of the best student consultant firm to Study in UK  Or Book a Free Consultation (It is free) with Academic Education’s expert Advisers.

Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /home/customer/www/ on line 352